Sunday 25 March 2012

Training Walk 25.03.12

The sun was on my side today!  Walked over 13 miles today in 4 hrs and 45mins, keeping a steady pace of 2.76 mph and managing to walk a mile in under 22minutes, beating my previous best time. Check out the route and stats at the link below:

Training Walk 25.03.12

Was chuffed with today, made good time and went further than I've ever walked before.  My route took me through Swithland Wood, round the top of Swithland Reservoir, followed the route of the Leicester Round and skirted the edge of the quarry.  I walked through Mountsorrel, across the busy A6 (which I did cross carefully on foot), across the Mountsorrel Marshes, through Cossington before turning back towards home passing through Rothley and back home to Cropston.


A broken, old bridge in the marshes behind Cropston
The longest, straightest path across a field! Leading up to the bridge to Swithland Reservoir.
Busy and beautiful today.

The sun dappled avenue down the side of Swithland Reservoir
Just catching my breath having legged it across the busy A6.
Chanced upon two noisy horses grazing by the lock on the Soar in between Mountsorrel and Sileby
Sileby Lock Boatyard
Cossington Marshes - so much wildlife!
Cossington Marshes is massive!  Seemed like it took ages for me to walk through here!
Just missed the train as it went over the footpath! Damn!















It was a great walk today, although my feet and legs started to feel the burn at about 10-11 miles. It was good route with plenty of great views and a few ups and downs to give my knees a workout. Sat and had my lunch just past Swithland Reservoir and took in a lovely view.  It's really given me an idea of how I'm going to feel walking this far, and made me think about some of the days which are even longer on the walk.  But even though the going got tough, I'm not put off, and I'm still looking forward to the challenge.

The new boots were amazing, and felt really comfortable and by the end of walking over 13 miles I've only got a small hot spot on my big toe.

Musical highlights on the MP3 player this week included various tracks by Kate Rusby, 'Mr Blue Sky' by E.L.O., 10 out of 10 by Paolo Nutini and a podcast of satirical Radio 4 Extra comedy show 'Newsjack' (which is very funny - check it out if you get the chance).

Thanks to everyone who is supporting me, particularly big thanks and much love goes to Helen, who is becoming a bit of a 'walking widow' because of the increasing demands of my training schedule.

Keep checking back for more updates on my progress, and don't forget to leave a comment and let me know what you think. 

And . . .oooh, just remembered, must make sure there's a bottle of beer in the fridge . . .

1 comment: